Being Brunel for a Year
Ups and Downs
It’s been an interesting year for Being Brunel, here are just a few dates that stick in the mind…
- 26th of July 2012 – Opens with Like Lego – But for Adults; 5 people read it.
- 2nd of November 2012 – Passes the 1000 views mark.
- 7th of December 2012 – Revamp for the NCE Graduate of the Year Awards; the NCE fails to mention Being Brunel.
- 31st of January 2013 – Building on Finite Elements becomes the first guest post.
- 28th of March 2013 – Switches from Thursday to Monday release date.
- 10th of June 2013 – Game of Thrones: Engineering The Wall takes the site over the 10’000 views mark.
- 29th July 2013 – Celebrates a complete orbit of the sun, with a second redesign.
Who would have thought it?
Certainly not me, that’s for sure, but It turns out I’ve been Being Brunel for a whole year. If I was at work I’d have to buy you all cake and a pint; as it is I’ll just give you a link to this prematurely apt David Bowie song.
When I started Being Brunel, I just wanted to create a civil engineering blog, in a desperate attempt to tip the balance from an internet filled with cat-dairies to one infested with engineering. Although I’ve not quite managed to achieve this dream, I’ve had a lot of fun researching pointless things (the Young’s Modulus of cake comes to mind) and knowing there are people on the internet who will happily submit to my torturous meandering style.
I’ve got some surprises left in me for the next year. If you fancy doing a guest post (no doubt I’ll be doing a few), send me an e-mail; it’d be good to get a few more voices than just mine polluting the interwebs. Also, if you’ve got an engineering blog, I’m more than happy to do some cross-promotion, for the team.
So all that’s left is to thank you all; even the surprisingly critical individuals on Reddit who seemed to feel that doing anything less than a full finite element analysis on a fictitious wall was without point.
Thanks to everyone who’s been reading. – Here’s to another year!